Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Wachowskis Get Their Hands On Speed Racer

SCI FI Wire - Matrix Team Preps Speed Racer
Producer Joel Silver has enlisted his Matrix creators, Larry and Andy Wachowski, to write and direct a big-screen, live-action version of the animated TV series Speed Racer, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The movie will be the duo's first directorial outing since completing the Silver-produced Matrix series in 2003. They are reuniting with several of the creative behind-the-scenes talents from the Matrix films, including executive producer Grant Hill and visual-effects supervisor John Gaeta, who won an Oscar for his work on The Matrix.

First reaction:
OH GOD NO!!! I used to be in love with Speed Racer when I was a little girl. Of course I only caught the re-runs but still. The Matrix died a dismal death. DON'T LET THOSE DAMNED WACHOSKIS GET THEIR HANDS ON SPEED RACER!!!!!!!

Second reaction: (After calming down)
While I don't quite remember Matrix 3 (and I haven't re-watched since I paid $12 for a IMAX ticket on opening day), I do remember the car chase scene in Matrix 2. It was damned good. If anything, Wachowskis know how to do action. It's the best quality action for your buck.
I also have to remember that I LOVED V for Vendetta.

I'll give the boys a chance but they still owe us a Matrix do-over or an apology or an acknowledgement that something went very wrong with that last Matrix film.

No comments: