Sunday, May 01, 2005

Berman is still going on about franchise fatigue

Berman: Trek Needs A Rest
"There are a lot of people who criticized us for saying what I'm about to say, but I do believe that there was some degree of fatigue with the franchise," Berman said in a conference call interview. "I think that we found ourselves in competition with ourselves. Enterprise in many markets was running against repeats-whether it be cable or syndication-of the original series, Next Generation, Voyager [or] Deep Space Nine. And I think that after 18 years and 624 hours of Star Trek the audience began to have a little bit of overkill with Star Trek, and I think that had a lot to do with it. And I think if you take a look at the last feature film we did, Nemesis, which I still believe was a fine movie, it did two-thirds the business that the previous films had done. So I think it's, again, another example of the franchise getting a little bit tired."

I cut this guys some slack a few posts back. I tried to show him some support but now I'm gonna rip him a new one. Let me start with my standard, WTF?
He can keep pushing his "franchise fatigue" buzzwords because they look good on press releases and interviews but no one is buying this bullshit. There have been several interviews telling us that the franchise is tired so the idea will stick. He should admit that he's the one that's tired.

---Dude, we understand that you are tired. I don't know how you all lasted this long with people sending pictures of crabs attacking the Enterprise and all. (I still shake my head at that) Just don't try to blow smoke up our asses about "franchise fatigue". There is a wealth of resources right there in the Star Trek Encyclopedia that could have provided you with a plethora of easy, no- brainer yet interesting episodes. I would have gone along with the Suliban, Xindi, Time Travel arc if you guys would have thrown us a prequel-type bone every once and awhile. It seems that you are competing with yourself because the older stuff was actually good. Through re-runs, people can actually compare Enterprise to the other Treks and see that Enterprise is lacking.

I'm beating a dead horse.

From Trek Web:

Executive producer Rick Berman has done preliminary work on a possible STAR TREK film. "I'm not certain that I will be involved in creating the next STAR TREK series. I have no idea when that's going to happen, and it very well may be someone new who's going to be doing it." Paramount Network Television confirmed that there's no timetable for the development of a new show, and no creative team in place to develop it.

Good! Go do other work. Cut your ties.
I'm just a person on the sidelines and I have no idea about what it really takes to keep a show like this alive. What do I know? Sure it's easy to heckle from my keyboard but I can see that there was some negligence, mismanagement or ill-advisement in regards to this show.

I did like In the In a Mirror, Darkly, Part I & II though. It had some sloppy points like I could figure out what the ghost Captain Archer was doing there. The ending bored me. I liked the uniform transition. It also seemed like they were just pulling TOS references out of their asses like a big TOS pot luck. Use the Star Trek Encylopedia but make the references make sense together. For example, what was Gorn doing there? I guess we can find out in the
Exclusive: "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II" Commentary Podcast
.

No comments: