Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Gene Roddenberry's Shows

Has anyone noticed that the popular Gene Roddenberry shows have ended in a fizzle? Earth: Final Conflict, Andromeda and Star Trek (on a whole or at least up until this date) have all ended in mutation and poor ratings. This has to be because Gene was taken before his time. RIP

When Earth: Final Conflict started out, it had a very Gene feel to it. After awhile, I didn't know what the hell EFC was. It had nice special effects but it was pretty much unwatchable.

Andromeda aired it's final episode and I have no clue what was going on. The drama was there, the actors were lovable but the story line was worse than someone with ADD on acid.

Then there's Enterprise, I won't go into a rant about how anticlimactic that ending was but it was pretty piss poor. I remember crying at the end of Deep Space Nine; hard core tears. I even got choked up for Voyager's ending. (sshhhh don't tell anyone) But Enterprise? I forced myself to pay attention to the series finale. When having Trek Vet's on the show don't create a sense of excitement, something's wrong. I understood the premise of the episode, it was clever, but way too obscure just like Nemesis. That's saying a lot coming from a Trek nerd.

I consider myself a part of the extended family of Gene Roddenberry. I'm pretty pissed about how they handled Uncle Gene's legacy BUT I'm getting over it, letting it go and getting a life.

No comments: