Friday, August 19, 2005

SciFriday.... last Friday

I was really impressed with the shows last week. All of them were thought provoking. Stargate had *the* best social commentary.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

This ADHD "review" will only make sense if you've watched the episode.

Stargate: SG1 - The Powers That Be
I LOVED this episode. The dialogue about God and science is so relevant. I liked that science didn't win at the end of the episode. I only liked this because of the irony of Stargate being a science fiction show and that science usually wins with some technobabble and/or cool gadget. I'm for the science side, the truth is out there but there are still something that haven't been explained on this planet. I do believe that most everything can be explained through the scientific method but then again I don't know everything. This episode lays all of that out on the table like a virgin for sacrifice. I still don't think that the Ori are gods and that we will figure them out BUT I can't explain what went on in the village either. The way the villagers responded was realistic. It's how I feel everyday to a certain degree especially when I have to go to a government office; there is something bigger than you controlling your every move against your will and there's nothing you can do about it.
My question (red flag) is WHY is it so important that these people profess their belief or have faith in the Ori? Won't these folks still be gods whether some insignificant villagers worship them or not? WHY is it that if they don't believe that a show of power and an infliction of suffering is necessary? WHY can't these people just be left alone to live their lives as they see fit? Who is anyone to interfere with that?

Yep, the writers of this episode gave us gold last week. These are the types of shows that make me tune in every week.


Stargate: Atlantis - Condemned
Does this episode remind you of any prison system?
I've never been to jail or prison but I thought that these folks just sat around in cells all day. They eat, wash laundry, play basketball and/or lift weights, read and maybe riot. I "heard" or read some article that prisoners often are put to work. They may answer phones in a call center (and if you've ever done that job outside of prison, you know that doing it in prison is like being in jail twice). They may dig ditches or some other jobs. Jail/slave labor. Could it be that people get thrown into prison for minor crimes is because companies want prison labor. In prison, they can get you to work for free or pay you third world wages. One could argue that this keeps jobs in the US but that's just being too cute for my taste.

Note that I didn't do any research just pulled this out of my ... but like this episode it poses a what if and if so then wow that's uncool.

So is Ronan going to just going to growl in every episode? He's like a Worf/Tyr hybrid. I hope he and Teyla hook up.


Battlestar Galactica - The Farm
Now this is a space-opera!
If I keep saying that this show is phenomenal, it's going to loose it's meaning. Maybe it has already so how about astounding? Spectacular seems too glitzy. Remarkable is too unremarkable. Amazing? whatever....
I enjoyed this one. I especially loved the dialog between Starbuck and the cylon doctor, Simon.

Stunned that he pointed out that is typical for women in her line of work to choose not to have children.

Teared up when he spotted her abuse as a child.

Is anyone still barking about Starbuck being a woman? Starbuck as a chick brings so much more to this show. (not that I've seen the other show but I'm sure that no one got a gynecological exam on the original show.... not that I liked seeing, I cringed but it was a nice touch.)

Question: Why are there HUMMERS on Caprica?

This episode also made me wonder about Cylons and their level of intelligence. I swear these guys are as "precise" (read: dumb) as Storm Troopers. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, which is possible, but I hope that Caprica isn't their baby-machine capital. It was way too easy for that lab to be destroyed. It was way too easy for them to escape. I guess that Darth Number Six has a plan.

Oh! I almost forgot!
How noble of Cylon Boomer #2 to rescue the crew. So one Boomer dies and one Boomer returns. How interesting. She's probably going to get the Lee Harvey Oswald treatment just like the other Boomer. We'll see.....

No comments: