Tuesday, September 13, 2005

SciFriday... last Friday (Sept 9, 2005)

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

SciFriday started off perfectly with my favorite episode of Firefly, Jaynestown. It was this episode that sold me on the whole show.
Is it September 30th yet?

While I enjoyed the shows last week, each show reminded me of a show that I've seen in another series.

Stargate: SG1 - Babylon
It wasn't hard to figure out which show this episode "borrowed" from, Star Trek: The Original Series - Amok Time.
Aside from that, Babylon was a delightful enough episode. If for no other two reasons, Tony Todd and William B. Davis (who had no lines). Tony Todd is always a treat. William B Davis will always make me want to smoke...
I like the idea of the Sodan warriors. It was a bit of a change from the normal Jaffa. It would be cool to run across a planet of Jaffa who have advanced technology or at least know how to party. Also, the two Jaffa brothers (the Mr Miyagi one and the one that got treated back at Stargate command)... were hot! Wait, that's not what I wanted to say... but really they were.... no but.... I don't know how this sounds but I kept getting them confused because they looked a lot alike. I didn't feel bad for thinking that because those guys are brothers in real life. Crichton... Mitchell... Ben Browder got in some well placed one liners. He's still a little to restrained.

Stargate: Atlantis - Conversion
Dude! What does Teyla do exactly?
No... I'm going to save that rant for another time.
This week Atlantis reminded me of itself. Didn't we just see an episode where Lt. Ford transformed to a superhuman thing? Yes, Sheppard's situation is SLIGHLTY different but we got the same episode in the same season. That's gotta be some sort of record. The coolest thing about Sheppard that when he was truly transformed, he was like The Fly, The Borg, Spiderman, a Jem'Hadar and Lt.Ford all in one. It was a latex mask pot luck. I actually wish they would keep Sheppard like this, he's more interesting.... seems more complex somehow. His transformation made me feel like he's been underachieving by mucking about on the station and Wraith shoot 'em up missions.
It also seems like Rodney was a tad sore that he didn't get to WOW us with his knowledge. He did spit out one of the funniest one liners yet.... the one where he complimented Beckett on raising medicine to an actual science. That line was deliciously arrogant.

Battlestar Galactica - Final Cut
This episode of Battlestar Galactica reminded me of And Now For A Word from Babylon 5. They even had someone addicted to "stems".
Mind you, I'm not upset about this. It's just an observation. While we are on the topic of observations, this was a good perspective show. It made me really think about what our soldiers go through everyday in real life. Final Cut was so jammed packed with reflection of war, the assassination plot, the delivery of the baby, the well placed cylon attack to upload the footage.... This show is a gift EVERY WEEK!
The well placed original Battlestar Galactica theme at the end was an AWESOME touch!

No comments: