Sunday, July 24, 2005

Speculative Fiction Sunday on USA

For two hours, Sunday belongs to the USA Network. The give us The Dead Zone and 4400. I also enjoy Monk and Kojak but they don't deal with the supernatural or abductions so I won't go in those shows.

The Dead Zone =>
Johnny has put down his cane and will probably give up the blank trenchcoat at any time. This is not your father's Dead Zone anymore. They've dealt with the Stillson shooting issue, all of the topics in the movie and now The Dead Zone is it's own show. I think this re-imagined version is very watchable. It has gotten more interesting in the later seasons. There was a time in seasons 2 and 3 that I got bored and stopped watching. It was probably due to the fact that the show was featuring more of the mousey and oh-so whiney Nicole deBoer. (The hack-ette who had the nerve to accept the role to replace the ever so glorious Jadizia Dax on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I'll be mad about that forever. deBoer totally ruined the last season of DS9 for me.) They seem to only use her in small does now. The show has excelled because of it.

I love the commercials that promote the show. The one with the cat was hilarious.

4400 =>
I always forget that this show is supposed to take place in Seattle until they say it on the show.
I don't really have anything bad to say about this show. I really enjoy the ride. I have no idea how the show is supposed to be different which is why I can't tell you if it sucks or not. From what I've seen, the story telling is flawless. I really wish they'd use Jeffrey Combs as a regular cast member though.

No comments: