Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Straczynski hands are tied

From SciFi Wire:
Straczynski Ends Trek Campaign

Damn shame. I can't do anything but shake my head in disappointment. I guess the "Save Enterprise" campaign should get a clue and not waste their time either. Of course anyone who reads me regularly knows my position.

A day after calling for a letter-writing campaign by fans who wanted to see his version of Star Trek produced, Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski posted a follow-up message to the same newsgroup retracting his statement. "[B]elay everything I just said," Straczynski wrote. "In the 24 hours between the time I composed the prior note, and sent it, and it made its way through the moderation software, two things happened."

The two things that changed Straczynski's mind were a tip from a trusted source at Paramount, which owns the rights to the Star Trek franchise, that the studio is "giving the Trek TV world a rest" for a year or two, and an offer to run a series premiering in the fall of 2006, which Straczynski has accepted. In Straczynski's words, the Trek campaign is now "kind of moot."

The writer/producer apologized to fans and assured them that he hasn't abandoned the project completely. "We can reconvene a year or two down the road to see where this takes us," he said. "But in the interim ... my apologies for waking everybody up in the middle of the night."


Man, you don't owe us an apology, you are a hero, always have been. We thank you for trying and we apologize for not being able to do more. I look forward to your new project and hope that it is successful!

No comments: