Saturday, July 01, 2006

Routh Rocks as Superman

<!@#$%^&* SPOILER ALERT *&^%$#@!> <!@#$%^&* SPOILER ALERT *&^%$#@!>
<!@#$%^&* SPOILER ALERT *&^%$#@!> <!@#$%^&* SPOILER ALERT *&^%$#@!>
<!@#$%^&* SPOILER ALERT *&^%$#@!> <!@#$%^&* SPOILER ALERT *&^%$#@!>

I wasn't convinced when I saw the previews. The whole movie looked over- CGIed and fake. I'd read rumors on the internets that Routh was gay in real life so I wasn't sure that I would be able to be attracted to the character in "that way". Plenty of people tried to ruin this movie for me.

I decided to see it anyway and let the movie speak for itself.

Needless to say, I fell in love with Superman all over again. I thought that Routh was going to be like Welling from Smallville and be his own version of Superman. This isn't the case but this is NOT a bad thing. Routh captured Christopher Reeves spirit as Superman. I didn't expect that at all! The movie was new and nostalgic and an extremely engenius performance by the young actor. Magnificent!

As far as Spacey as Lex Luthor... well, lets say that I appreciate Rosebaum's version a lot more. Spacey ended up being a black hat, mustache twirling typical villain. I think Parker Posey had more depth. I didn't much care for Lois Lane either. She was a bit too Natilie Portman for my taste. She wasn't sassy or spicy enough.

Back to Superman... I loved him. I may pay to see this movie again.

I don't read the comics so I don't know if this was a stand alone story or if it was part of a bigger picture. Either way, I liked the kryptonite island plot. My heart went out to the character when he was getting beat up. He looked like an average guy at a convention being beat up by bullies. It made me feel that all costume- wearing convention guys are actually powerful super beings and Earth just happens to be made entirely out of kryptonite.

No comments: