Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Writer's Strike Back

Yes. I know. An incredibly lame headline.

When I first heard that there was going to be a writer's strike. I didn't pay it much attention. Seems like they've done this before and it's was smoothed over then forgotten. I don't recall a strike where shows we shut down and episodes not delivered. I didn't realize that writers had so much power. WOW! I respect what they are doing. At least they are not suing the viewers.

The LA Times has a great quick and dirty list of the shows affected. Bionic Woman isn't on this list, neither is Flash Gordon.

Here is some cutting and pasting from the LA Times as it relates to the science fiction genre:
"Lost"- Expected to have eight out of 16 episodes ready. Midseason, none have aired yet.
"CSI"- Will have 11 or 12 out of 22 episodes completed.
"CSI: Miami"- Will have 13 out of 24 episodes completed.
"CSI: NY"- Will have 13 or 14 out of 22 episodes completed.
"Criminal Minds"- Will have 11 or 12 of 22 episodes completed.
"Numb3rs"- Will have 12 of 22.
"Moonlight"- Expected to have 11 out of 12 episodes completed; has not received an order for a full season.
"Jericho"- Will have seven of seven episodes. (The fans fought so hard for it to return only for the show to be held up by a strike.)
"Medium"- Will have nine of 22 episodes completed.
"Journeyman"- Will have 12 of 13 episodes; has not yet received an order for a full season. (NO FINALE?!? That's just cruel)
"Smallville"- Will have 12 to 14 of 22 episodes.
"Supernatural"- Has 12 to 14 episodes completed; Those shows also have roughly five scripts that are ready to shoot.
"Beauty and the Geek"- Has six remaining for the fall season and a 10-episode run for early next year.
(I've never watched this!)
"24"- Will have eight or nine out of 24 episodes completed. Originally scheduled for January, now premiere is delayed.
"Stargate Atlantis"- Expected to go on as scheduled.
"Battlestar Galactica"- Has 10 hours of episodes, plus a two hour movie to air this Fall.
"Eureka"- Will be affected. (Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

This is a nightmare. It's not the end of the world but I wonder when this will be over.

3 comments:

Jabberwocky said...

Well I hope that the strike comes to an end sooner than later. Still if some of what I have heard about the union has me scratching my head.

sg1fanatic said...

Maybe we should get people to send one dollar to the writers of their favorite tv shows. writers would be very rich then. ;)

scifirantergirl said...

I'm already forced to watch advertising during a TV show. I'd prefer to pay for it and watch on iTunes. I'm not giving them anymore money than that. If the shows don't come back, screw it. There's other stuff to do. I might give WoW another chance. :D