Sunday, July 29, 2007

Thoughts on Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix

In short: I liked it.

In long: It was a little underwhelming. I guess because the movie dealt with darker themes. It was a beautiful movie as usual but didn't give me that sense of wonderment like the earlier movies. Come to think of it, the movie prior to this didn't do that either but I was impressed with it because it was clever.

Order of the Phoenix...
It was information heavy. Ms. Umbridge was completely horrific but entertaining. What a scary lady. She was scary in an insane way. On first look, she's supposed to be sugar and spice because she looks like a pink, fuzzy, huggable plush toy. On double take, that lady had sharp teeth and was a total Nazi.
Voldemort was a complete joke. He was toying with Harry Potter in this movie and quite frankly, if he was the all powerful Dark Lord, doesn't he have better things to do than to play hide and seek with lil' ol' Harry Potter? I just didn't see his motivation in this movie. You know how The Borg felt completely watered down and sterile by the seventh season of Star Trek: Voyager? That's how Voldemort felt to me. I just didn't feel the scary.
Maybe I should have done a marathon prior to seeing the movie so that I would have had a momentum.

The special effects were stellar. The new teachers were interesting but no.... I'm not reading the books.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Wikipedia
Harry Potter: Official Site

No comments: