Sunday, July 29, 2007

...and the Movie of the Summer is Transformers!

I can't say enough good things about this movie. It was exactly what I was looking for. It exceeded my expectations.

It was cute enough for the kids, fun enough for the average joe and just enough of the right stuff for the die hards.

*sigh* Yes... everyone thinks Bumblebee being a Camaro was a mistake. What can you do? At least he was yellow and at least he didn't die... like poor Jazz. :(

The special effects were PHENOMENAL!!! I sorta felt that some of the shots were a bit too tight and I couldn't really see what was going on when they did close ups of the transformations. That could have been the theatre that I was at though.
The robots movements were so fluid and human- like. This was one of my favorite things about the movie. The robots had just the right amount of personality. It was a perfect blend of human and machine; they were even funny. I must say that these robots were very sexy. I had a total fan girl panting session. I'm in love with Optimus Prime. *purge bad thoughts, purge bad thoughts, purge bad thoughts*

The product placement was a bit much. GMC over did it. It was so over done it was disgusting. It wasn't even cute like when the Mountain Dew machine turned into a robot.

I've never know enough about the Transformers story and their origin to nitpick what was in the movie. It was enough set up for me.

Now about the humans:
Everyone did a great job.
The film stars Shia LaBeouf as Sam Witwicky, who has the map to the Allspark, an object at the center of the war between the heroic Autobots and the evil Decepticons.
I'm impressed with Shia. When I heard that he was going to be in the upcoming Indian Jones movie, I nodded my head. I can totally see this. He's funny, he had weird, cuteness about him. John Turturro was also another favorite. Gosh that man is funny. He had a weasel-ish thing about him that was delightful. Some of the human scenes went on for too long; the car malfunction thing, the parents house thing. I wanted more robot action but it won't stop me from buying the DVD or anything.
Hugo Weaving was the voice of Megatron. Peter Cullen, the voice of Optimus Prime in the 1980s cartoon, reprised the role for the film.
I didn't know this before the movie but these two guys did a damned fine job.

I also heard that there are more films in the works. I say great but I want more about the homeworld and the saga of the Transformers themselves. I liked the human interaction but I want to know more about our heroes.

On a side note. The ending scene with Sam and Mikaela making out on Bumble Bee was a bit weird. Let's not have anymore of that. ;)

3 comments:

kevbayer said...

Total agreement! But I'm a TF fanboy. I loved `em back in the 80's and still do!

Jamison said...

Nice review. Now I want to see it even more. I always thought the Transformers universe was pretty good sci-fi for a cartoon. I watched transformers as a kid, and even watched "beast wars", the next gen transformers, as an adult. Thanks fo r taking the time to write a review. well done.

scifirantergirl said...

Have you seen the movie yet Jamison? I'm thinking about seeing it again.