Monday, October 22, 2007

CSI: NY Does Second Life

If CSI: Vegas is classic and nerdy. CSI: Miami is the ghetto, red- headed step child. CSI: NY is the hip, savvy one of all of them.

Last week CSI: NY did time travel. They were even geeky enough to include a Doctor Who reference and sound effect.This week, the show is heading into my favorite virtual world, Second Life. I'm SO excited about this. I can't wait to see what they are going to do in my world.

If you still haven't explored Second Life, you owe it to yourself to do so. Later next week, I'll compile a list of recommended places in- world. If you haven't signed up, you can use this link to do so. My user ID is Trinity Hartunian. Look me up and IM me in-world and I can show you around. Jvstin Tommorrow and I have already hung out. He's taken to Second Life like a fish to water. Fly my beautiful bird, fly! .... er..... Swim my beautiful fish, swim! :) JStrider is in there as well as a few more sci-fi geeks.

This episode entitled "Avatar" will air on CBS; Wednesday, October 24, 2007.

From the NYTimes:
But in the episode for Oct. 24, Taylor, played by Gary Sinise, finds himself entering the computer-based virtual world known as Second Life, walking (and sometimes flying) around three-dimensional, animated Manhattan landmarks, recreated by a technique called machinima, and pursuing not a suspect but an avatar.
They are also planning an in- world experience and event!

If all goes well, Mr. Zuiker said, the episode will contain two 30-second promotional messages directing viewers to CBS.com, promising a “live simulation” letting them experience Second Life for themselves. “You can pick one of 12 avatars,” Mr. Zuiker said. “It will download in five to nine minutes. My own avatar will be there to greet you.”

Mr. Zuiker said the first level of participation, the simplest, will allow viewers to walk around the representations of New York buildings and then visit a CSI lab, where they can play basic forensic games, like facial recognition.

The second level is much more elaborate. It consists of a game called “Murder by Zuiker,” based on a murder plot that Mr. Zuiker created and the Electric Sheep engineers have transformed into a scene in Second Life. Mr. Zuiker will leave clues around the murder scene. He will post and rank the 100 people who come closest to his explanation of the murder, and, he said, the winner will “get a virtual gift for his or her avatar.”

The final stage of game play will allow “CSI” fans to become CSI investigators. They will receive a field kit and tools, get a chance to interview suspects and be given the opportunity to solve the murder featured in the episode. The final gimmick of that episode is that it will end in a cliffhanger: it will not be resolved until an episode in February.

Here are some links to more information about CSI: NY visiting Second Life.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/arts/television/04CSI.html
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/20/csiny-comes-to-second-life-wednesday/
http://www.slnn.com/article/csiny/
http://www.denverpost.com/television/ci_7207626

2 comments:

Paul Weimer said...

I no longer have the Castle...but I would love to hang out with you again sometime.

Maybe you can even wear green. ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Cat,

I'd love to hang out with you again on Second Life but you seem to ignore my IMs. If I've said anything stupid that offended you I'm very sorry and hope you don't hate me.

Tim aka Tim Eastkew.